Felony DUI Penalties, AZ DUI Laws Overview
"In dollars and "sense" the cost of retaining a good Mesa DUI defense lawyer, is far less a price, than fines, fees, costs, and your freedom, if convicted of a Mesa felony DUI."
If you were charged with felony DUI in Mesa, AZ you should consult a Mesa DUI lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your case and defense options. A felony DUI conviction in Mesa exposes you to severe penalties. You will need a strong Mesa Felony DUI attorney to defend your Felony DUI charges.
Felony DUI - Arizona Laws:
There are three factors that will aggravate a Mesa Misdemeanor DUI resulting in escalation of the Misdemeanor DUI to a Felony DUI. "Felony DUI" charges are also known as "Aggravated DUI charges":
1) A.R.S. §28-1383(A) (1): (Paraphrased) You were arrested for DUI while you were driving on a suspended, restricted or revoked drivers license - Class 3 Felony
2) A.R.S. §28-1383(A) (2): (Paraphrased) The new Mesa DUI charge is your third DUI in 7 years. At least two of the prior DUI charges resulted in convictions within the last 7 years. - Class 3 felony
3) A.R.S. §28-1383(A) (3): (Paraphrased) You were charged with driving impaired, DUI, DWI, or Drunk Driving, with a child under 15 years of age was a passenger in the vehicle you were driving - Class 6 Felony
DUI Penalties - Felony DUI Sentencing in Arizona
A Felony DUI conviction for Mesa DUI charges exposes you to mandatory AZ DUI sentencing guidelines. The mandatory DUI penalties under Arizona Law include, but are not limited to the following:
• Jail Sentencing ranging from one day to one year;
• Prison time from 4 months to 2 ½ years;
• Revocation of your drivers license for 3 years;
• Ignition Interlock Device at your expense;
• Fines of Up to $150,000 plus 80% surcharge;
• $1500 prison assessment;
• $250 abatement fees;
• Probation fees;
• Costs for Drug or Alcohol Treatment Screening;
• Costs for Drug or Alcohol Counseling or Treatment Program;
• Supervised probation;
• Felony criminal record
(The above penalties are subject to change based on circumstances surrounding your Felony DUI charges and frequent changes to Arizona Law).
Felony DUI Penalties for a Mesa DUI conviction may be "aggravated" or
"mitigated". Aggravated penalties are factors that surround your Mesa DUI that support the prosecution and warrant more serious DUI penalties. Mitigating factors are circumstances or evidence that supports your DUI defense and warrant less serious penalties, particularly, those that are discretionary by the judge.
Mesa DUI Lawyer - Felony DUI Defense Mesa AZ
The judge will not offer you leniency, out of compassion or the fact that you do not have good legal representation by a Mesa DUI attorney. Without compelling arguments presented or motions filed by your DUI Defense Lawyer, the judge or prosecution will not generally offer mitigated sentencing. Good DUI defense lawyers will examine the evidence and facts of your case to find those mitigating factors that may lead to more lenient penalties if you are convicted of a felony DUI charge.
The felony DUI penalties are so severe, that often defendants feel that the situation is hopeless, and they do not feel even a DUI Attorney can help them. However, Felony DUI charges are often dismissed completely, or in part, by good Mesa DUI defense attorneys. A qualified Mesa DUI lawyer or AZ criminal defense lawyer can defend any Mesa Felony DUI charge regardless of the severity or classification. Good Mesa DUI lawyers often are able to get evidence dismissed; charges reduced to a Misdemeanor DUI, civil citation, or ultimately get the felony DUI charges dismissed completely.
Early retention of a good private practice Mesa DUI attorney will drastically increase your chances of a dismissal or other good outcome in your Felony DUI case. However, choosing to go without a qualified Mesa DUI defense attorney is a dangerous path towards a swift Felony DUI conviction in Arizona.