Police announced that DUI Task Forces were set up on Wednesday May 23, 2012 and will run through Monday May 28, 2012 during the Memorial Day weekend. They are targeting Phoenix and East Valley Cities in Maricopa County have already made arrests for drivers impaired due to alcohol or drugs. A spokesperson for the Governor's Office of Highway Safety reported that 65 police agencies that will be participating in operations, which is strong enforcement.
Arizona has adopted the guidelines from National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA). The guidelines set parameters on organization; administration; a conducting of the stops. This includes which cars to stop. According to NHTSA guidelines the vehicles which will be stopped are pre-determined by city officials or the police. Those vehicles must be chosen by a mathematical formula or sorts, for example, every 3rd vehicle or every other vehicle.
Locations of DUI Task Forces or Checkpoints
Generally the DUI Task forces are set up in areas where high traffic volume is expected. For example in the case of a summer holiday, the Police may set up check points in areas where people may be popular establishments where liquor is sold. This Memorial Day Weekend, some of the DUI Checkpoints include the following areas in Maricopa County:
• Phoenix - Metro and suburbs
• Areas near University of Phoenix Stadium
• Highway leading to Lake Pleasant in Arizona
How to avoid a DUI Task Force Stop
1) The best way to avoid a task force stop is not to drink and drive;
2) Whether you are plan to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it is best to avoid a DUI stop if you can. Not many people enjoy the long lines, or the experience in general. You can check your local media website, police departments, County websites, and even social media outlets on the internet;
3) NHTSA also requires that signs be readily present and posted near the Checkpoint. Stay vigilant if you should approach one, and take another route if possible;
4) If you did not plan to drink and drive, but find you are in that position, call on a friend or family member or taxi to take you home;
5) If you know in advance you will be consuming liquor, make plans in advance for a designated driver, or alternative arrangements to get home safely. Judgment decisions are always more prudent when a person not under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
DUI Lawyer Phoenix AZ
If you are arrested for DUI in Phoenix AZ, you should consult a criminal defense attorney to discuss your matter and defense options. Arizona has strict laws and hrsh penalties for DUI. You will need a legal advocate to represent you in court. There are defenses that can be used combat DUI charges. With experienced and effective legal representation you will increase your chances of getting a good outcome in your case
Law Office of James Novak
4500 S. Lakeshore Drive
Tempe AZ 85282
Arizona DUI, DWI, Drunk Driving & Criminal Defense Firm
Serving Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Phoenix & Scottsdale AZ