AZ DUI Laws, Felony DUI Penalties
"The cost of a felony DUI conviction, and it's consequences in Arizona is far greater than the price of hiring a good Arizona DUI defense lawyer"
If you were charged and/or arrested for felony DUI charges in Maricopa County, AZ you should contact an Arizona DUI defense attorney as soon as possible. A felony DUI conviction in Arizona will expose you to severe penalties. You will need a strong Arizona DUI defense attorney to defend your Felony DUI charges if you wish to challenge your DUI charges.
Felony DUI Charges - Arizona Laws:
There are three aggravating factors that will cause an Arizona Misdemeanor DUI to escalate to a Felony DUI charge. "Felony DUI" charges are also called "Aggravated DUI" charges:
1) A.R.S. §28-1383(A) (1): (Paraphrased) DUI charge while driving on a suspended, restricted or revoked driver's license in Maricopa County- Class 3 Felony
2) A.R.S. §28-1383(A) (2): (Paraphrased) Third DUI charge within 7 years and you have two prior DUI convictions that occurred during the last 7 years. - Class 3 felony.
3) A.R.S. §28-1383(A) (3): (Paraphrased) you were charged with DUI DWI and a child under 15 years of age was a passenger in the vehicle you were driving - Class 6 Felony
DUI Penalties - Arizona Felony DUI Sentencing Guidelines
Felony DUI charges and convictions in Arizona are serious. Felony DUI convictions are subject to mandatory DUI sentencing guidelines. Mandatory DUI penalties under Arizona Law include the following:
• Jail Sentences ranging from 1 day to 1 year;
• Prison Sentences ranging from 4 months to 2 ½ years;
• Revocation of your drivers license for 3 years;
• Ignition Interlock Device;
• Fines of Up to $150,000 plus 80% surcharge;
• $1500 prison assessment;
• $250 abatement fees;
• Probation fees;
• Costs for Drug or Alcohol Treatment Screening;
• Costs for Drug or Alcohol Counseling or Treatment Program;
• Supervised probation;
• Felony Criminal Record
Sentencing for a Felony DUI conviction in Arizona may be have "aggravated" or "mitigated". Aggravated factors are those that support the prosecution and warrant more serious DUI penalties. Mitigating factors are those circumstances that favor your defense and may help reduce the harsh penalties.
Arizona DUI Lawyer - Felony DUI Defense Lawyers in Arizona
Without compelling arguments presented or motions filed by your DUI Defense Lawyer, the judge or prosecution will not offer you a mitigated (less harsh) sentence. An experienced Arizona DUI Attorney will know what evidence can be used to argue for mitigated sentencing and reduced sentencing on your behalf for a felony DUI conviction.
Any Arizona Felony DUI charge can be challenged, regardless of the classification. Proven AZ DUI lawyers are often able to get evidence dismissed; charges reduced, or ultimately get the felony DUI charges completely dismissed. But rarely if ever does this happen without qualified legal representation and defense from a proven private practice AZ DUI Attorney or Criminal Defense Lawyer in Maricopa County. Early retention of a good Arizona DUI lawyer or criminal defense attorney is the key to a successful defense.